Friday, May 2, 2014

April 2014 Wrap-up [spoiler free!]


Alas, April was not a very good reading month for me... My goal to keep the completion count up has, once again, failed, and I am left with a small handful of books at the month's end.




☆☆☆





1. Panic by Lauren Oliver. My first read of April was, basically, a contemporary version of The Hunger Games. A very interesting and engaging version. Though the story was unbelievable at times and the characters a bit annoying, I really enjoyed how engaging the events were, and how nicely everything wrapped up in the end.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars




☆☆☆☆





2. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Oh, how I love spin-offs. This book was beautifully, gorgeously written. I never quite knew what was going on and who to trust and the action and magic scenes were some of my favorites to read. The characters were great, and despite the fact that nothing was ever really explained (easily overlooked, as it is only the first book of the series), I really, really liked this read and am looking forward to the sequel.




☆☆☆☆





3. No Place Like Oz (Dorothy Must Die #0.5) by Danielle Paige. I picked up this novella immediately after finishing Dorothy Must Die. It was very insightful and I quite enjoyed learning about Dorothy's past and her journey back to Oz.




☆☆☆





4. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. Perhaps I went into this book with too much enthusiasm/excitement, because it turned out to be a bit of a let-down. It wasn't horrible. Just Okay. Most of Goodreads fell in love with the banter and humor, but I did not find the characters all that sassy or funny (there were really only two or three parts that I actually LOL'd over) and a lot of things were left unexplained and didn't make much sense. The only part I thoroughly enjoyed was the ending.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars




☆☆☆☆☆





5. The Archived by Victoria Schwab. Why did it take me so long to read this? Why?!? Everything about this book was amazing; the flashbacks that tied into the current story, the uniqueness of the Archive and Narrows and the characters and their banter. It was all so wonderful, I had trouble putting the The Archived down. I look forward to continuing on with the story!

Actual rating: 4.5 stars












6. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Unfortunately, I only made it about a fourth of the way through this book before the month of April ended but, once I am finished, Beautiful Creatures will count towards my 2014 Personal Reading Challenge — to reread three books before the end of the year.


. . . . 

April Stats:

Read 4.25 books (and 1 novella)
Read 1,844

GR's 2014 Reading Challenge (Progress):

Read 23 of 70 books
Currently 1 book ahead of schedule

Upcoming Releases:

The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass -- May 6, 2014
The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed #2) by Page Morgan -- May 13, 2014
Dangerous Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl -- May 20, 2014
City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments #6) by Cassandra Clare -- May 27, 2014




I have just realize that City of Heavenly Fire will be released in only a few short weeks! I AM EXCITE. Did you guys read any good books this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment