Sunday, November 8, 2015

30 Day Writing Challenge: Day Eight

A Book You Love and One You Didn't:

As someone who has spent the majority of her free time reading these last few years, this is a very difficult question. I have read and loved a great number of books for many different reasons. I love the Harry Potter series because it embodies growth—from youth to adulthood—and reminds me of my childhood. I love A Series of Unfortunate Events because not every person you meet in life will be kind, and The Night Circus because sometimes you just need to believe in something, and that something is magic enough. I love the Mara Dyer trilogy because I enjoy reading about girls who are not afraid to get their hands bloody dirty, Percy Jackson for the quests and adventures, and The Darkest Minds trilogy because sometimes super heroes make bad decisions, too. I love the Infernal Devices trilogy for its representation of love that transcends time and the Across the Universe trilogy for hope that transcends galaxies. The Chaos Walking trilogy is a great representation of the harsh realities of war while modern contemporaries like Amy and Roger's Epic Detour discuss relateable issues like death, stress, love and loss. Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children romanticizes peculiarity in a world where everything outside of “normal” is strange, and The Lunar Chronicles brings to life the classic fairy tales I knew and loved as a child with a modern twist; sometimes the princess needs to save herself.

There are so many more that I could name, but each of the above books and series has made me feel something at one time or another and that is why I love them so much. As for a book/books I did not love, it usually makes the list because I got nothing out of it – no feelings, emotion or personal attachment to either the story or characters. Sometimes this makes a book a quick, light read that I can enjoy for a few hours but, more often than not, I like my books to have a little more substance.


What are some books you love?


. . . .

I will be participating in the 30 Day Writing challenge every day this month, but will not be posting all of them. If you're curious, you can view the list of challenges here.

No comments:

Post a Comment