Wednesday, June 11, 2014

May 2014 Wrap-up [spoiler free!]


Late wrap-up post is late. I blame Animal Crossing.




☆☆☆☆





1. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Another 2014 reread! Even though I enjoyed this book just as much the second time around, I did find myself picking it apart and discovering more flaws now that I know the outcome of the story. The rating may have been bumped down a star, but it will forever remain one of my absolute favorite reads.




☆☆☆





2. Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. Incarnate was not quite what I was expecting. After reading the synopsis—and all of the raving reviews—I was under the impression that this book would be a healthy mix of plot and character; with action and development sharing equal parts of the story. Unfortunately, it was mostly character based; the focus on Ana and her relationship with a certain male character, rather than overcoming flaws/their seemingly corrupt society. I do plan on completing the series, but have no idea as to when, exactly, this will be.




☆☆☆☆





3. The Unbound (The Archived #2) by Victoria Schwab. SWOONY SWOON-SWOON. Though The Archived has remained my favorite of the series (so far), The Unbound was just as exciting and beautiful as the first. I absolutely cannot wait for book three!

Actual rating: 4.5 stars



☆☆☆☆






4. Every Day by David Levithan. Oh, the feels. I have come to the conclusion that David Levithan is very good at what he does — writing loaded books that rip your heart to shreds. What a gorgeous, gorgeous read.




☆☆☆☆





5. Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5) by David Levithan. After the heartbreaking end of Every Day, I quite enjoyed getting a few extra glimpses of A's life. This prequel novella was just as good as the first.












6. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. After completing this book, I was able to cross two 2014 reading goals off of my list: to read Water for Elephants and complete a book that had been on my physical TBR shelf for a period longer than six months. And OH. MY. I quite enjoyed it! The writing, characters and story were beautiful and I loved the crude, behind-the-scenes circus storyline and how it tied back into the main character's present day. Definitely one of my new favorites!

Actual rating: 4.75 stars












7. Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira. Unfortunately, my reading slump began somewhere around page 50 of this book. Despite the season, I have not been in much of a contemporary mood. Weird, right? I definitely plan on picking this back up sometime in June, after I have had a chance to read a few books with a bit more action but, until then, back to the TBR shelf it goes!


. . . . 

May Stats:

Read 5 books (and 1 novella)
Read 1,943 pages

GR's 2014 Reading Challenge (Progress):

Read 28 of 70 books
Currently 1 book behind schedule

Upcoming Releases:

My Faire Lady by Laura Wettersten -- June 3, 2014
Fan Art by Sarah Tregay -- June 17, 2014
17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen -- June 17, 2014




I was hoping to get through City of Heavenly Fire as well, but alas; it was not delivered until two weeks after the release... What was your favorite book of May?

No comments:

Post a Comment