Monday, September 23, 2013

Bookish Q&A

One of these days I will post an actual review or something that has not been circulating the Blog-O-Sphere, and which you have not already read the answers to a million times before stumbling upon this post.

BUT TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY.





(I have no idea who started this, please forgive me!)

Rules
  1. Post these rules
  2. Post a photo of your favorite book cover
  3. Answer the questions below
  4. Tag a few people to answer them too
  5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them
  6. Make sure you tell the person who tagged you that you’ve taken part!
1. Favorite book cover:

I'd say that it is currently a tie between these two;



Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin and Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

2. What are you reading right now?

The Ask and the Answer (The Knife of Never Letting Go #2) by Patrick Ness.

3. Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?

If I had to guess, I would say that I am most likely to pick up Through the Zombie Glass by Gena Showalter (as it was just released) or Love in the Time of Global Warming by Francesca Lia Block. I don't usually plan what I am going to read ahead of time; it all depends on the mood I am in.

4. What five books have you always wanted to read but haven't got round to?

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne

5. What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?

Lounge? How fancy.

I share a bathroom with seven other people, so I am sure you can imagine how little room there is to store reading material. I do, however, have some BOP, Tiger Beat (I love my teen gossip) and a few issues of InStyle strewn about my room.

6. What's the worst book you've ever read?

I don't like this question. There are certainly plenty of books that I have read and not enjoyed (Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, The Jerk Magnet by Melody Carlson), but that does not make them "bad," necessarily. Plenty of other people have enjoyed them, I'm sure, and just  because I am not one of them does not mean that I can classify them as the worst books I have ever read. So, unfortunately, I cannot answer this question.

7. What book seemed really popular but you didn't like it?

I picked up the Matched trilogy by Ally Condie because everyone on Youtube and Goodreads seemed to just adore those books. I, however, did not. At all.

Nope.

Nada.

Not one little bit.

They were beautifully written, sure, but I had an awful time connecting with the characters, understanding the story, and feeling... anything.

8. What's the one book you always recommend to just about anyone?

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. Everything about this series is amazing.

9. What are your three is one of your favorite poems?

I do not really read much poetry (unless forced). I do remember liking The Bird by Victor Hugo, however.

10. Where do you usually get your books?

Alas, you can only get books via Walmart in my town. Such is life when you live somewhere so small. The majority of the time I opt to order my books from Amazon, as they are much cheaper and arrive on my doorstep relatively fast. And then there are instances where I somehow manage to talk my parents into driving 40 minutes to the nearest Barnes & Noble, but that does not happen very often.

11. When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?

I used to love reading aloud, because I thought that it gave a book effect. I would find a quiet corner of our house, open whichever Harry Potter book I was in the middle of, and read until someone happened to overhear or I needed a glass of water.

12. What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was too good to put down?

I am an expert at finding good stopping points in a book so that I do not have to show up for work the next morning looking like a zombie and risk getting bludgeoned to death. There are exceptions to this, however, and I am pretty sure that the last book I stayed up all night to finish was either Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl, or Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare.

13. Have you ever "faked" reading a book?

I've pretended to have read a classic or two over the years, I'm sure, in an attempt to make myself seem smarter.

14. Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?

The cover is usually what draws me to a book, whether it is sitting on a shelf or staring up at me off of a webpage, but I rarely buy a book on just that aspect alone. What a waste of money that would be! If I see a book I like, I will open up Goodreads and take a look at its summary, rating, and what people have been saying about it and then I will consider buying it.

15. What was your favorite book when you were a child?

The Monster at the End of this Book by Jon Stone.

16. What book changed your life?

The obvious answer to this question would be the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I can remember so vividly sitting at my desk in fourth grade while my teacher read to us from those books, and enjoying every second of it. I was always a reader, but Harry Potter was a turning point of sorts; in which I discovered how much I loved delving into fictional worlds and connecting with its characters. It also made me realize how much I enjoyed writing.

17. What is your favorite passage from a book?

Here are a few;
"What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?"
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

"What a treacherous thing it is, to believe that a person is more than a person."
Paper Towns by John Green

"Knowing that something is wrong and doing it anyway happens very often in life, and I doubt I will ever know why."
Who Could That be at This Hour? by Lemony Snicket

"Love changes what is probable and makes unlikely things possible."
 — Crossed by Ally Condie

"Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in what they are."
I am the Messenger by Marcus Zusak

"You like someone who can't like you back because unrequited love can be survived in a way that once-requited love cannot."
Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

"Faith with proof is no faith at all."
The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

18. Who are your top five six favorite authors?

J.K Rowling, Cassandra Clare, Rick Riordan, Michelle Hodkin, Tahereh Mafi and Veronica Roth.

19. What book has nobody heard about but should read?

I have yet to really hear anything about Epic Fail by Claire LaZebnik (a contemporary retelling of Pride & Prejudice), Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter or The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan.

20. What books are you an "evangelist" for?

Pretty much anything by Rick Riordan or John Green. Those two have yet to write something I have not enjoyed and I am always talking about them and trying to get people to read their work (though they are both pretty popular, so it isn't difficult).

21. What are your favorite books by a first-time author?

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by April Genevieve Tucholke

22. What is your favorite classic book?

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by C.S. Lewis.

23. Five other noteable mentions?

Here, have some amazing series before you leave;

The Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken
Anna Dressed in Blood duo by Kendare Blake
Across the Universe trilogy by Beth Revis
Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness

No comments:

Post a Comment